Foo Foo Festival Stomps, Jives, Choirs! and Skates Its Way to Pensacola
Date Posted: Sep 04, 2019
Looking for a festival this year that combines a huge amount of culture and art into two weeks? Look no further than Foo Foo Fest. This festival, spanning from October 31—November 11, 2019, hosts some of the greatest artists, entertainment and cultural events that Florida has to offer. Foo Foo Fest fully encompasses everything that the primary sponsor, non-profit organization Art, Culture, and Entertainment, Inc. (ACE) has to offer. From Blue Angels air shows to live musicians, you’re sure to find your space here at Foo Foo Fest.
Now, you may be asking yourself what exactly inspired the name given to this festival. A “Foo Foo,” by definition, is an impromptu musical band known to come together on late 19th-century sailing vessels, consisting of members of the ship’s crew. The gathering of Pensacola’s greatest arts and entertainment organizations in one place over 12 days makes this festival Florida’s very own “Foo Foo.” Although the festival lineup varies year-to-year, it is traditionally rooted in and around the Great Gulfcoast Arts Festival, Frank Brown International Songwriters Festival, and the Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show. In past years, we have wielded a lineup of different events presented by local arts organizations as well as special performances in town. Here is a look at what you can expect to experience at this year’s festival.
Pensacola’s sugar-white beaches and emerald green water entice visitors from all over the world, but the attraction of the city doesn’t stop there. Many visitors find themselves captivated by the ever-expanding art, culture and entertainment scene this great city has to offer. Scheduled for this year’s festival are some of the most inclusive and thought-provoking cultural happenings. People of all ages can expect to find experiences that intrigue and entertain them to no end. In addition, nearly $400,000 in grants have been awarded to juried artist displays, concerts, and performances including:
- Choral Society of Pensacola—Choir! Choir! Choir! A fantastic, community through music experience that lets you be the star of the show.
- Downtown Improvement Board/Artel Inc.—Fire and Rain, hovering over Intendencia Street, is beautiful immersive display that is a must-see.
- First City Arts Alliance—3DPrintsacola and pro skater Rodney Mullen present “Skulptures,” skateable concrete structures crafted using machine-generated art, augmented reality and traditional hand-crafting methods.
- Greater Pensacola Symphony Orchestra, Inc.— The Pensacola Symphony Orchestra collaborates with legendary pianist Garrick Ohlsson to bring you this beautiful performance of Brahms, Schumann, and Mendelssohn.
- Jazz Pensacola—Jazz Pensacola presents the brilliant contemporary jazz from swing revival band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Pensacola favorites Village Brass will also join in the fun.
- Lamplighters, Inc.—StompFest 2019, with host and comic sensation HaHa Davis, musical performer Marsha Ambrosius and DJ Mannie Fresh, will immerse the Gulf Coast in experiential, modern African-American art, dancing, and stepping. With spoken word poetry, exciting music, and impressive visual artistry, this show promises to be a singular cultural event everyone circles to attend.
- Legal Services of North Florida—Jazz for Justice brings the Gulf Coast a special jazz and blues festival with well-known artists and local musicians alike.
- Pensacola Little Theatre—Presents The Savannah Sipping Society, created by the writers of The Golden Girls, is a story of four Southern women of different walks of life who help each other through new chapters in their lives after meeting by chance at a fateful happy hour in Savannah.
In addition to the plethora of arts and cultural happenings during Foo Foo Fest, Pensacola offers year-round historic walking tours, local markets, and shops. Visitors may want to stroll along the shores of Pensacola Bay, with its pristine beaches, go for seconds and thirds with our outstanding culinary arts scene, take in historic sites from colonial-era Pensacola and relish in the soothing elegance of one of the most excellent places to vacation year-round. This year’s Foo Foo Fest is sure to be one you don’t want to miss!
If you are interested in showing Pensacola your artistic, cultural or entertaining talents, make sure to register a booth on our website and become #FriendsOfFoo on social media platforms.
For more information about the 2019 Pensacola Foo Foo Festival visit www.FooFooFest.com or follow Foo Foo Festival on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.